Orlando Bound

I'm here in Orlando, Fl. Sure as I know anything, I know this: I aim to misbehave.

Name:
Location: Orlando, Florida, United States

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Is a Fair Wage standard possible?

Call it a Fair Wage or Living Wage it doesn't matter. What is obvious is that the national minimum wage has remained $5.15 since 1997. What used to be a way out of poverty has now become the way into poverty.

I just read this great blog entry about why the wage should be raised. Florida's wage recently increased and we're still seeing 'now hiring' signs everywhere. The question is, how large an increase could the economy withstand and why must we stick with a one-tier minimum wage? Shouldn't there be some reward for those with a high school diploma? How about someone trying to support a family? Also shouldn't minimum wages be based on the living conditions of the area. If it costs $1000 to rent a one bedroom in one town and $500 in another, shouldn't the minimum be different?